Rules are necessary in an online environment just as they are in the real world
where people interact face to face or by telephone. Netiquette was created to establish
common rules for communicating in an online environment. Knowing these rules will
help you to communicate and interact with the people that you will deal with at
Free World U without any problems or misunderstandings.
1. You are dealing with real people. Never forget when you are emailing or sending
feedback that there is a person reading what you write. A person has feelings that
can be hurt.
- Never be intentionally unkind. There’s no reason for it. Try to make only constructive
comments that might be helpful to the person with whom you are trying to communicate.
- Never type a whole message in caps. Writing in caps means that you are yelling.
- Never mail or post anything that you wouldn’t say in person to your reader. The
Internet is not a place to pick fights with others.
- Parents may be contacted if inappropriate communication is submitted.
- No flaming. Flaming is when a person, or group of people, decides to express negative
emotions about a particular situation. Flaming can also be directed toward people
and their beliefs. There is no place for this behavior in an environment such as
Free World U.
2. Follow the same rules online that you would in real life.
- Be fair and do not make snap judgments. We realize that our students come from many
different places around the United States and other countries.
- Our flashcards are written to provide information in a way that is accessible to
as wide an audience as possible. You may not agree with some of the information
presented and if this is the case you should discuss it with a parent or another
- We welcome constructive feedback about our flashcards and an open dialogue with
our users through the feedback function available on every page and each flashcard.
You will also find an email address and phone number listed to make sure that we
are available to address any concerns that you might have.
3. Not every website requires the same behavior.
- Netiquette is not the same for all the different websites that you might visit.
Things that are acceptable on one might not be on another.
- Read and view the information posted on Free World U to help you learn to navigate
the website. There is a User Tutorial, videos, FAQ, and other helpful information
for you to use.
- Becoming aware of how our website works will help you to get the most out of your
experience and save time for all.
4. Always be respectful of others when you are online.
- For example, comments such as, I hate this website, are not helpful. If there is
something that you don’t like about Free World U, feel free to tell us, we are always
willing to listen to our users. We ask that you are specific about what you don’t
like and that your comments are phrased in a polite way that will help us to help
- We encourage you to communicate your feelings in an open and honest way. We simply
ask that you refrain from making negative comments that are not backed up with any
- We suggest that instead of simply saying that you do not like a situation that you
propose an alternative or remedy for the situation. This type of thoughtful and
considered analysis will be more helpful than merely criticizing a situation.
5. We take what we are doing very seriously and strive to provide the best available
information to our users. We ask that you take the same serious approach to using
- You are expected to put forth your best efforts as you engage in learning through
Free World U.
- Complete honesty and integrity are expected at all times.
- You are responsible for doing all of your own work.
- No one may unfairly help you with any of your work. If you are not sure what amount
of help is appropriate, please contact your teacher.
- There is a world of information available to you at Free World U. It is presented
in a way that we feel will help you to learn and absorb the information.Take your
time as you work to gain full advantage of our program.
- Create a schedule that works for you and stick to it.
6. We believe that education should be an adventure and that it should be fun.
- You are not inhibited by all the rules and regulations of a regular classroom environment
at Free World U. You have the freedom to choose what you will study and when you
will study it.
- You are not tied to a desk. Sometimes you just need to get up and walk around and
think something through! You can do this. You can control your environment and make
it what it needs to be to make learning easier and more enjoyable.
7. If you share a computer with siblings or others living in your home, always respect
- Your User Name and Password should not be shared with anybody except your parents.
- You should not ask for anybody else’s User Name and Password.